2008-05-31

Canoing on the Battenkill

We went canoing for a couple of hours down the Battenkill river. The tour company hauled us up to the starting point, unloaded the canoes, and sent us on our way. The trip was not without its challenges, the first being that the river was running a bit low. We bottomed out before we got away from the dock. Mom took the front and I took the back, so I not only could paddle but also use my paddle as a rudder to turn as needed. Mom was a trooper, but didn't have a whole lot of fun. Did I mention that it RAINED. We got soaked. And she never quite figured out that for the main, it really didn't matter much which side of the canoe she paddled on, I still could steer with my paddle. Still it was fun being together.

After warming up and drying off at the hotel, dinner tonight was a "clam bake", which included steak, chicken and lobster. Very good.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

mmm...

Berserk said...

It's tough to imagine Mom in a canoe.

Susie said...

Yeah, but is it tough to imagine me yelling over and over again, "I am NEVER doing this again!" as the rain pours down my face?

Berserk said...

Yeah, that kinda brings the whole image together.